Rally Round Downtown Gilroy installed some instant, one-day-only shops along Monterey during the 2014 Gilroy Art & Wine Stroll. We had two major objectives:
- Fill in some of the empty spots while hundreds of visitors walked up and down Monterey Street
- Show people just a sampling of things that we COULD have downtown
We ended up with 9 pop up shops plus the RRDG ‘post office’.
For the pop up post office, Rally Round Downtown Gilroy printed up 3 postcards (click above for a larger view) to encourage people to make suggestions to our city government about how we can work together to make Downtown Gilroy the destination that it out to be.
The postcards started with things like
“To help our Downtown become really great, the City should:”
followed by a blank area where the individual could describe whatever suggestions they thought would help the most.
The 9 more pop up shops scattered along the path or the Art & Wine Stroll were:
- BookSmart – Books about wine and food from our friends in Morgan Hill (Click here)
- Friends of Miller Barn – Brought their campaign to save the Miller-Lux red barn in Christmas Hill park (Click here)
- Garlic City Mercantile – A selection of garlic themed gifts and foods (Click here)
- Mitra’s Bakery – Cookies, turnovers, macaroons, baklava and more, all here in Gilroy’s Downtown (Click here)
- Moki Smith Morgan Hill Tree Service – Showed us the dollar value of the trees on Monterey (and elsewhere)! (Click here)
- Out and About Magazine – The magazine that covers South Valley brought us local and regional products (Click here)
- Raw Legends – Cool clothes designed right here in Gilroy (Click here)
- San Benito Bene – Locally inspired gifts and creations. (Click here)
- Rebecca M put her oil paintings out for public viewing (no web link)
For those of you who missed it, here are some pictures of the Rally Round Downtown Gilroy Pop Up Shops:
Watch for more pop up shops in the future. Who knows what exciting things might show up (but only for one day)?
The Pop up Shops would not have become a reality without the help and support of some very fine people and organizations. RRDG owes a big vote of thanks to:
Out and About Magazine for the Pop up Shop graphics: http://outandaboutmagazine.com/.
Young Signs for printing the Pop up Shop signs: http://www.youngsignsgilroy.com/.
BookSmart for printing the posters: http://mybooksmart.com/joomla/.
Leedo Art & Framing for dry mounting the posters and graphics: http://www.leedoart.com/.
Under Pressure Washing for cleaning all the storefront entries (and they really needed it): here on Facebook.
Drop in and let these people know that their efforts were greatly appreciated, if you get the chance.